Charleston is a foodie’s dream. There’s a vast array of delish eats from “mom and pop” style restaurants to fancy fine dining. I lived here for 9 years and never hit them all (and there’s new buzz each week about openings and the next “happening” spot.) Needless to say, it was tough to narrow it down and make a decision sometimes! Here is a quick list of my Charleston area recommendations.
- O-Ku – King Street//Our go-to place for sushi. Fresh ingredients, interesting, flavorful combinations- just go for the Sushi/Sashimi Combo. They have different size orders depending on the size of your group. The chef will surprise you and you won’t be disappointed! Promise! They also offer complimentary valet parking, which can be super convenient for upper King!
- The Rarebit – King Street// THIS place blew me away. First of all, they have really fun drinks in fancy glasses. Sounds silly, but you’ll be transported to a different time where cocktail hour was mandatory, and people still left their front doors unlocked. I recommend the Champagne Cocktail. For food, the chicken and waffles entree is a big hit OR go the healthy route and get the Vegan Burger (my fave.)
- Hall’s Chophouse //King Street-Get ANY kind of steak, pair with Lobster Mac n Cheese, and call it a night! Classy and fun ambiance with lots of buzz, and I understand why. The food is to die for!
- The Watch Rooftop at The Restoration Hotel // Two words: Truffle fries. Plus, the views of the city are AMAZING and the drinks are delish!
- Five Loaves Cafe //Downtown on Cannon St, Mount Pleasant, Summerville-Sandwiches, Soups, Salads, Pasta…there’s really nothing this place can’t do…and they do it well. Try the Hot Ham and Brie sandwich on a croissant. Top pick! They amp it up for dinner, always have crazy- delish daily specials, and also serve a mean brunch!
- Sesame Burgers and Beer-// Three locations: Mount Pleasant, North Charleston, and West Ashley Citadel Mall- Three words: Gourmet. Burger. Heaven. Burgers any way possible with build a burger options or try one of their signature burgers. I love the Turkey Burger, Brie and Apple Salad and the Pimento Cheese with pita appetizer! They also have a zillion beers on tap. Burgers and Beer- best combo ever. OH, and the best milkshakes. Can’t forget that!
- Sermet’s Courtyard on Daniel Island// Daniel Island-This is one of our all time favorites. The food is always so so good. I love being surrounded by art while dining (the owner is a local artist.) It was downtown (Sermet’s Corner is still on King St, but has a different owner), but this location is the original concept and menu for Sermet’s. Get the Chicken Agnolotti!
- Kaminsky’s Dessert// Market Street, Downtown- Gotta have dessert, right? And maybe a nightcap? Get the Chocolate Martini and Bourbon Pecan Pie. Then get the best sleep you’ve ever had!
- Triangle Char and Bar// West Ashley (Avondale), Mount Pleasant, Summerville- Brunchin is serious business around here and Triangle brings the heat! $1 Mimosas. ONE DOLLAR! They also offer options to customize your Bloody Mary. I recommend the French Toast or the Crab Cake Benny for Brunch.
- Sol Southwest Kitchen and Tequila Bar // North Mount Pleasant- Sol is a fairly new restaurant to the scene, but it’s definitely already made its mark. The food is SO tasty and chock full of flavor (get the Sol Trio for an app, Marinated Steak Salad, or the Mahi Tacos), and the drinks have been voted “The Best Drinks in Mount Pleasant”by Mount Pleasant Magazine… the people have spoken! All their cocktails are made with freshly squeezed juice- try the Prickly Pear Margarita!
Here’s a quick link list of some other faves:
- Home Team BBQ // Sullivan’s Island
- The Obstinate Daughter //Sullivan’s Island
- Tavern and Table // Shem Creek, Mount Pleasant
- Water’s Edge //Shem Creek, Mount Pleasant
- Boxcar Betty’s //West Ashley and Summerville
- Xiao Bao Biscuit //Downtown Charleston
- Edmund’s Oast //Downtown Charleston
- Santi’s // Downtown Charleston-A fun Mexican favorite! esp for birthdays!
And this is just a few, see why we have such a hard time deciding!?! You can’t go wrong with any of these choices! Bon Appetit!