Hi y’all! Hope you’ve had a fun weekend! We had a busy one, that’s for sure! Friday was my cousin’s graduation from dental school! Free dental care for life! Woohoo! (Just kidding…maybe?!?) We went to his grad party after and it was so nice to have all our family here to celebrate his amazing accomplishments! Yesterday, we went to the beach- FINALLY summer weather is here! It’s my favorite time of year and makes my heart so happy! My son is at a really fun age now, too… (although it’s quite the workout for us…which is probably a good thing!)…he’s exploring, collecting shells, chasing seagulls, jumping waves, playing soccer and throwing the frisbee (which we sadly lost yesterday in the ocean, oops!) Regardless of our frisbee sacrifice, it was a successful beach day!
Speaking of sun and fun, there were several products in my May Birchbox and ipsy that were really useful for the beach and for skin care after soaking in the rays! This time of year, I really start thinking about how I can preserve my makeup and hair in the crazy Charleston heat, and protect my skin from the harsh summer elements. Check out my Review of the products from May>>
- Bumble and bumble. Thickening Hairspray- I actually just ran out of hairspray, so this couldn’t have arrived at a better time! I can’t stand when hairspray leaves your hair crunchy, but I don’t want to sacrifice hold. This thickening formula was very effective for my unruly hair type and held my loose waves all day for my cousin’s graduation festivities. After curling my hair with my Nume Classic Wand, I held my head upside down and sprayed the underside of my hair, flipped back upright, and then sprayed the sides and styled normally. It left my hair feeling soft and stood the test of Charleston humidity (and we were outside almost all day!) Now that’s impressive. Full-size $29 My rating 10/10
Get it here>>Bumble and bumble Thickening Hairspray
- Model Co Lip Lacquer in Viva- I’ve received this in a darker color from a previous box, and I really love the smooth formula…however, this color doesn’t match up with the yellow pigment in my skin. Not my favorite color! However, I did combine it with the lipstick I received from ipsy this month and it actually works much better for my skin color! When life hands you lemons, combine it with lipstick- well, that’s kinda gross…but you get where I’m going with it haha! I’m glad I figured out a way to use this, though because I do like the lacquer itself! So, final verdict: love the lip lacquer- not a fan of the color. Full- size (you get a Trio set)$16 My rating: 5/10 (just bc of this particular color)
Shop other colors here>> Model Co Lip Lacquer
- Real Chemistry Luminous 3- Minute Peel for Body- Okay, I’m really glad I got this! This was perfect after a long afternoon at the beach to rejuvenate my skin with a good scrub. It’s also paraben, sulfate, phthalate free, and never tested on animals. Bravo! You massage the peel gel on whatever section you’d like to treat (I used it on my arms and legs), and massage into your skin. It will begin to harden, which means it’s working, and then just rinse off with the dead skin. It’s a really concentrated formula, so definitely too harsh for your face. Perfect for your body though! The scent was grapefruity and was extremely refreshing! I enjoyed it and wish I had more! Full- size $34 My rating 10/10
Get it here>> Real Chemistry Body Peel
- Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50- This was really helpful before the beach. Most of the time, I don’t wear makeup to the beach but yesterday, I had already been out and about with my face on! This is a setting mist for makeup that conveniently has SPF 50, perfect for protecting your face and your makeup. It has a slight rosemary scent (which I love), and it feels very lightweight on your face. It doesn’t feel oily either, so this could be perfect to set your makeup for an outdoor wedding, concert, picnic, date, you name it! Full-size $28 My rating 10/10
Shop here>> Sugargoop! Setting Mist
- W3LL PEOPLE Bio Correct Multi- Action Concealer in Light- I’m really picky about concealers. Some leave your skin cakey and feel too thick- I can’t roll like that! This was a surprisingly nice find. I used it for under my eyes, and it goes on really smooth while providing GREAT coverage. Dark circles be GONE! This stuff was magic. I’m probably going to end up ordering the full size because it held up throughout the day, and left my skin feeling really smooth! Me likey! Full size $22.50 (well worth it!) My rating 10/10
Get it here>> W3LL PEOPLE concealer
- it Cosmetics No Tug Waterproof Gel Eyeliner in Black- I’ve used waterproof mascara, but never waterproof eyeliner. I was excited to try this one considering how much I love it Cosmetics. It’s super easy to apply and BOY does it last. The waterproof formula is extremely effective. I got water in my eyes yesterday at the beach and rubbed them not remembering I had makeup on… I didn’t have waterproof mascara on, so I ended up taking that off with ocean water (so fun…NOT), but my eyeliner stayed put…no signs of smearing or smudging! I’ll definitely be using this again if I feel like looking glam at the beach…however next time, I’ll have to remember to use waterproof mascara along with it! Full-size $22 My rating 10/10
Shop here>> it Cosmetics Gel Waterproof Eyeliner
- Mellow Matte Lipstick in Nude- This is a great everyday color! It gives you just a bit of color for a really natural lip. This is the lipstick that I combined with the gloss from Birchbox for a really pretty combo! I like the matte finish and it’s long lasting capabilities. It stayed on for hours before I felt like it needed reapplying! Full-size $13 My rating 10/10
Get it here>> Matte Lipstick in Nude
- INSPR Beauty Eye Fluff Brush- This brush is super soft and great for blending. I used it on my upper lids to add a bit more dimension with a darker shadow color under my brow bone. I love makeup brushes, and although with proper cleaning they’ll last a while…at some point, you’ll have to replace them. This may be my next eye shadow go-to. I like the really long handle for full control, too. Regular price $12 My rating 10/10
Shop here>> INSPR Eye Fluff Brush
- Hanalei Lip Treatment- My lips get so dry this time of year and this product has been AMAZING. I’ve used it everyday since I received it, and it’s by far my favorite new product from ipsy this month. It uses kukui oil, which is known to moisturize and rejuvenate dry lips, along with agave, shea butter and grape seed oil. It’s also paraben and cruelty free! It has a very slight sweet smell to it and tastes REALLY good. My new summer fave- I have a feeling it will totally save my lips! Full-size $25 My rating 10/10
Get it here>> Hanalei Lip Treatment
- Vasanti Brighten UP! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator- I’ve received this before in Birchbox and almost purchased the full-size, so I was really excited to receive another travel size! It uses 99% natural ingredients, is paraben and sulfate free, and has a triple action formula to brighten and soften your skin! Great product for exfoliating your face after the beach! It’s like a little microdermabrasion facial, but the simplicity of a face wash you can use daily in the shower. I’m probably going to end up pulling the trigger when I finish the travel size and get the full-size. It has a light fruity smell to it also…a great combo with the grapefruit body peel I reviewed in Birchbox! Full-size $34 My rating 10/10
Shop it here>> Vasanti Brighten Up!
Okay, sooooooo another month where I liked mostly EVERYTHING I received. I’m a harsh critic, but with quality products like this…it’s hard to nitpick! I hope you found this review helpful and possibly found some new summer must-have products for the beach, pool, and outdoor fun!
One summer must-have that I tested out yesterday are these Jack Rogers sandals. The blush/platinum color is on sale for under $30, and they’re perfect for the beach- they’re so easy to clean without having to forgo style! A total WIN! You can purchase here>> Jack Rogers Georgica Jellies
Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a great start to your week!
Until next time✌️|Stay styled, sugarplum!💋